Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Charles Bernstein, How I Became Pre-Human


When You Uplift The Transparent Eyeball, Make Sure To Bring Mascara, image by Daniel Y. Harris



How I Became Pre-Human

T-
he
s-
a-
nd att-
racts
jus-
t
abo-
ut m-
ore than
any gi-
rl o-
r b-
oy c-
oul-
d dream
On the l-
one shore
af-
ter the apoca-
lyp-
se.
Vans r-
ace ’r-
ou-
n-
d with bracing
Theatrics
a-
nd I sit back
and thi-
nk about lost ri-
verbeds where I buried
My th-
ough-
ts before th-
e storm began
or is it
begun
or maybe it
nev-
er
Rea-
l-
l-
y happened and there is just this beach,
this o-
cean
of regret,
this
Mascaraed sky.
I
reach out
to you
every day
but
I know it’s
too late.
The anthropocene
is the
delusion of a
bathetic interloper
scratching
Obscene slogans
on the melting ice.


--Charles Bernstein 


Charles Bernstein's Pitch of Poetry will be out this Spring form University of Chicago Press. His most recent collection of poems is Recalculating, also from Chicago. He teaches at the University of Pennsylvania. More info at EPC http://epc.buffalo.edu/authors/bernstein